Calixto Robles, Lylia Forero Carr, Jason Bonilla - Exhibition at Arte Americas


RUIZ AND COMMUNITY GALLERIES
JAGUARES, SÍMBOLOS & MOTIFS
ON VIEW THROUGH FEBRUARY 15, 2015

CLICK HERE FOR THE
HALLOWELL MEXICAN FOLK ART COLLECTION 
IN THE FRESNO ART MUSEUM PARTNERSHIP GALLERY 
 

_________________________________________________


IN THE RUIZ GALLERY:
Calixto Robles  
Born in Oaxaca,Mexico, Robles is a painter, printmaker, and sculptor. His work, which is inspired by the myths and symbols of the ancient traditions of Mexico, has been exhibited in several galleries, including the Museo Nacional de la Estampa in Mexico City, the Centro Cultural de Mexico in Paris, France, the Biblioteca de la Havana in Cuba, and the Legion of Honor and the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, California. 

Robles has been a member of the California Society of Printmakers since 1993 and has taught silk- screen printmaking at the Mission Cultural Center since 1992.  One of Robles' biggest fans and patrons is musician Carlos Santana, who has been promoting the work of the artist heavily for many years.

Artist Statement:
My work is inspired by the myths, symbols, colors, and ancient traditions of Meso-America While in the midst of working these traditional influences arise spontaneously, accidentally, and in the moment. I use natural and supernatural figures such as angels, eagles, jaguars, horses, hearts, and moons.
Silk screen allows me to take advantage of textures and use brilliant and vivid colors. I make loose open screen marks combined with drawn and found images. 

My focus in painting is to create textured complex, and magical realms. I rework the image many times completely changing the composition, subject matter, and color, until finally arriving at the finished piece. The paintings pass through many renditions and moods like daydreams. 

Hand building in ceramics brings me back to the earliest memories I have of making art. It allows me to be in contact with this element earth which is so tactile, generous, and humble. My clay figures are inspired by my personal vocabulary that has been influenced by Pre-Columbian sculptures. I primarily use oxides to create natural earth tones. 






CALIXTO ROBLES ARTIST RECEPTION 
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 7    2P-4P
EVENT PAGE

__________________________

IN THE COMMUNITY GALLERY:



LYLIA FORERO CARR

Born in Bogotá, Colombia, Carr came to the US in 1966 and moved to Fresno, Ca. in 1982. 

She holds an MA Degree in Art from California State University Fresno. She has also studied with Millard Sheets, Mario Cooper, Charles Reid, Gerald  Brommer, Jane Burnham, Joseph Zirker, Glen Brill, Sandro Martini, Keiji Shinohora and C. Dillbohner.

The artist has worked in painting, drawing, sculpture and printmaking. Her recent works have been in mixed media. She starts either with monotypes, collages or collographs and finish them by painting or drawing with She  works in series, developing a theme, but giving her attention to each piece individually.

Carr first researches and gathers the information necessary to develop her theme. These initial ideas or images are then combined with an intuitive sense of placement, color, texture and line allowing the work to develop freely. oil paints, oil pastels or oil sticks.  She enjoys experimenting and exploring new visual avenues in order to grow and change.






LYLIA FORERO CARR ARTIST RECEPTION 
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 1    2P-4P
EVENT PAGE








 
__________________________


  IN THE RINCONCITO GALLERY:



JASON BONILLA

Artist Statement
The printmaking process helps me turn a basic idea to a living piece. Each piece I make is as alive as anyone in this world. My prints are like using a microscope to view my life. I show the past, present, and future of my life.  Using symbolism and sometimes satire, I tell stories. My work acts as thumbnails of personal events. Sometimes I get trapped in my thoughts of “what if”. I analyze my every action and tend to overthink things in my life; the results of these feelings come out through my prints.


Artist Bio
Jason Bonilla studied Fine Art Printmaking at California State University of Fresno and a founding member of Print and Glory, an academic club which has two focuses -- sharing the awareness of printmaking and fundraising to bringing visiting artists to Fresno. 

Bonilla continued his practices professionally at his studio in Downtown Fresno, where he is commissioned, consults, creates and prints shirts. Becoming recognized as the "T-Shirt Guy", he uses his drawing/printmaking practices into making shirts for artists, schools or organizations. 

The artist pushes the boundaries of what is possible in printmaking and in his art by combining printmaking mediums on paper and using printmaking methods on his paintings.In 2014 Bonilla exhibited nationally and internationally.


JASON BONILLA ARTIST RECEPTION 
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 1    2P-4P
EVENT PAGE







JAGUARES, SÍMBOLOS & MOTIFS CURATED BY TONY CARRANZA