MARCOS DORADO LA LLORONA ARTE AMERICAS




CONTEXT NOTES FROM THE ARTIST




Title:
La Patria -- Seductura
 Manuela posed for about 25 hours over three months at my studio in the T.W. Patterson Building.



The nude represents my motherland as a seductress.  While Mexico is living a tragic chapter in its history, At the same time, it’s a marvelous land with rich culture and distinguished beauty.



Manuela was born in Germany.  As such, she reflects the immigrants of her country that settled in and around Monterrey, Nuevo León, during the mid 1800's.  Most immigrated from Bavaria and some preserve the language.  Their music, known in Mexico as norteña (northern), is now a staple of Mexican folk music.  Indeed, Mexico is a melting pot of cultures and customs with great beauty and tradition.  




Title:
Antes de que Nos Olviden

This series of portraits are a homage to the students killed in Tlatelolco (Mexico City), on the day that I was born, October 2nd, 1968.  As they peacefully demonstrated against the funding of the Olympics, the military opened fire. 

 

I drew in sanguine and white Conté that I order from an Austrian company.  The wood is Arctic pine.  I love it’s gentle warm hue which goes well with the warmer sanguine color.



The models in this series are local educators Sandra Vázquez, Blanca Ayón, and David Campos. I borrowed the skull from a friend.



The series is titled, Antes de que Nos Olviden,” (Before They Forget About Us) after the song by Mexican rock band, Caifanes.  The song is also a tribute to the students of ‘68.






Title:
Foto de La Llorona



This image is of the original drawing that I began of Michelle.  That work was developed for another exhibit.  I took the image, copied it and cropped it into the version used in the drawing currently on view.  








The first step was to cut and tape paper in order to draw a “photo" accurately in regards to shadow, light and form.  Again, my goal is to represent La Llorona as a real person.  

  











 
My love for black and white photography inspired the cropped composition.  Michelle has a tattoo of Frida Khalo on her left arm, which is vaguely shown here. 










Title:
La Llorona I





I prefer to not draw from photos.  I find drawing from life a much more rewarding experience with many more advantages of which the lens is limited, including proper perspective and proportion.  Interpretation of light and shadow tends to be greatlydistorted by the camera when interpreting compositions with dark shadows juxtaposed with light as in chioroscuro.  





This is the first drawing that I did for the exhibit.  The model is Margie, a friend of mine from high school with whom I had recently reconnected.  

She poses as a realistic and natural interpretation of a Llorona rather than the common idealized scary depiction of the lady.   

I wanted to convey La Llorona as a real person.

The 43 refers to the number of students missing in Ayotzinapa, Mexico.









Title:
Historia de México






I was born on the day of a terrible incident in Mexico City.  In the district known as Tlalcelolco, students protested the funding for the 1968 Olympics.   

During the peaceful gathering, the military opened fire on the demonstrators and the number of dead vary.  The government has the tally in double digits while many assert that it was in the hundreds. 

 

The images above shows the work while it was in progress, with the completed work, on view, to the right.  I have a human skull in my studio and I used an Octavio Paz anthology as the history book.