Richard Arenas - Scott Kiche - Marcos Dorado - Arte Americas Fresno

Arte Américas Winter Exhibition 2015-2015


We conclude our 2015 exhibitions with three breathtaking solo shows that guide the viewer through an emotional and cerebral adventure. Each of the artists individually create high art that is both accessible and authentic.   



RUIZ GALLERY and
COMMUNITY GALLERY

Marginal and Neglected People:
A Retrospective of works 
by Richard Arenas


As an Artist I observe the world and make a decision by the issues an environment around me.
 One of my favorite subjects is the Agriculture worker "El Campesino".  As a native of the Central Valley I worked the fields until the age of 18.  I personally know what it's like to be racially targeted, disrespected and alienated because of the work I did  So the next time you buy fruit or vegetables remember who worked to bring it to you.they have faces, names and families.

I am also concerned about women and children issues of abuse.  These abuses can occur in all cultures, so lets not point a finger at any one group of people.  The abuse can be verbal, physical or sexual. Don't be deceived, it does exist.

My other subject deals with world issues. People who just want better schools, roads, social services and to be treated fairly, nothing more.  an example is the Maya people from Chiapas, Mexico, who had no choice but to revolt against the Mexican Government.  There are many people all over the world that are treated in this manner, namely indigenous people from Northern, Central, and South America.
I have existed 25,915 days, in that time I have come to realize that there is nothing more satisfying than keeping our culture alive through the Arts and sharing that knowledge an experience with others.



___________________________________________________________


FRESNO ART MUSEUM 
PARTNERSHIP GALLERY

Values: Works by Scott Kiche

'Values' was a simple title that I choose for my exhibit. The word has a double connotation for me. It describes an important step in creating the realistic effect I look to create in my work. Values is the relative degree of light or dark or the characteristic of color determined by light and dark. Understanding values is very important to an artist who paints or draws in a representational manner. But the word values also is an important word for me because as a father of five daughters I work hard to instill in them good values. Values in our family is important so I thought since this exhibit consists mostly of my daughters as models that it would be a good word to describe both worlds.
 
The great intention of my work is to speak to the heart and soul of the viewer. To create a simple yet universal language that will allow us to better understand ourselves and one another. Through the allegories I create, I hope to forge for the viewer a moment of stillness and self-reflection.



La Llorona ­ Mi Patria: 
Drawings by Marcos Dorado

It's my goal to liken La Llorona to La Patria (motherland), the later being Mexico. In the folk tale, La Llorona drowns her children out of despair. Consequently, she's condemned to forever search for her children as she weeps for them.  Parallel to this story, my motherland allows its children to succumb to the horrible angst of a desperate country. In fact, two tragic events and two songs influenced this project as it developed.


In September 2014, in Ayotzinapa, Guerrero, 43 are missing after protesting the speech of the mayor's wife of the town. The hands of the state delivered the students to a cartel. A member of the criminal organization declared that the students’ incinerated remains were disposed in a river.

Long before Ayotzinapa, there was Tlaltelolco (Mexico City). The number varies from dozens to hundreds of students that lost their lives to military aggression. It happened on the day that I was born, October 2,1968. The army fired upon  students that were peacefully protesting the funding for the Olympics, which began ten days later. There was never an investigation and the Games went on in all glamour. They were a success because Mexico is, at the same time, a
nation that has much to offer. There's beauty and a resilient spirit. Indeed, it's a nation of extreme juxtaposition.


I, like many fellow Mexicans, fear La Patria but also love it. Our sentiment about the motherland is like the various songs written about La Llorona. Though she's a sort of boogeyman, in song she's also beautiful and desired. There's a longing for her and she's often a seductress. In this spirit, my veins always flow a yearning for my motherland.
As I worked on this series, I spent many hours listening to songs dedicated to La Llorona. I love Chevela Várgas and Lila Downs’s versions but the one that grabs me most is an original song by the Mexican rock band, Caifanes. The lyrics are haunting and the blues guitar is languid.

The other song that significantly influenced this exhibit is Antes de Que nos Olviden, (Before They Forget Us) also by Los Caifanes. The song is a homage to the students of tragic October 2nd. You'll find a few drawings named after this song.  I hope that my exhibit provides to a perspective about how one individual relates to the country that gave him life.  


Lyrics from Antes de Que nos Olviden
by Los Caifanes Antes de que nos olviden
Nos evaporemos en magueyes
Y subiremos hasta el cielo
Y bajaremos con la lluvia

Before they forget us
We will evaporate from magueyes
And we'll rise to the heavens
And descend with the rain

Lyrics from La Llorona
by Los Caifanes 


No quiero verte Llorona
No quiero llorar contigo
Déjame ver tu piel
Déjame ser tu piel
Déjame ayudarte
Nomas dime como
Y así será
 

I don't want to see you, Llorona
I don't want to weep with you
Let me see you skin
Let me be your skin
Let me help you
Just tell me how
And so it will be

Lyrics by Saúl Hernández