MUXERISTA - RAQUEL ROCKY ROJAS - ARTE AMERICAS

MUXERISTA
selected works by Raquel "Rocky" Rojas 
Curated by Frank Delgado


From my first encounter with the works of this enigmatic Xicana artist named "Rocky"  I was intrigued, attracted particularly to the precision in which the artist held a mirror to patriarchy in synchronicity with creating aesthetically intriguing, introspective works using whatever media she could get her hands on.  I was drawn to Rojas' use of  paint, textiles, print blocks, paint brushes, sewing machines, intense color palettes, and psychologically stimulating visual conundrums that incite important dialogue.   

Unabashedly Latina Powerfully feminist.   


 
The title of the exhibition “Muxerista” is an alternative form of the word “mujerista”meaning 'feminist' in Spanish. 

The “x” signifies a closer relation to indigenous roots while also distancing self-identified muxeres from patriarchal domination. The use of “muxer” instead of “mujer” is similar to the use of “womyn” instead of “woman” and can also be applied in the Chicana/Xicana/Xicanx context.








Artist Statement

As a first generation woman of color, it is important to create art work with a feminist understanding. In my work I define feminist art as:


“…art (that) is characterized here as simultaneously critical, positive, and progressive. By critical we mean work that seeks to expose underlying ideologies or existing structures that have a negative effect on women and their lives; by positive we mean work that takes a stand, expressing its maker's faith in achieving results or positing alternatives; by progressive we mean a belief in the feminist tenets of equality and inclusiveness, a better world free of sexism, racism, homophobia, eco- nomic inequality, and violence.”
 
Mary Jo Aagerstoun, and Auther Elissa. "Considering Feminist Activist Art"


 
This feminist understanding allows me to explore the concept
of oppression and hierarchical violence against women. My creative process is a socio-political statement on the human condition and acts of systemic violence that surround it. 


My work is a reflection of my experiences and of the experience of my oppressed counterparts. The narratives of my work originate from the stories from my childhood, visions of my history, and the constant restrictions and/or attacks on the bodies of women. 

There are different layers to my work that are prescribed by my cultural background and heritage as Xicana feminist. Through my creative process I am searching for the narratives of women who have been victims of femicide throughout the borderlands and beyond. 

The concept of femicide is described as the deliberate killing of women. I am focusing on the idea of borderlands and not limited to the border between the Mexico and United States, but also the non-physical border that some women live with. 








CLICK THE BUTTONS FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT 
OTHER EXHIBITIONS CURRENTLY ON VIEW
http://arteamericas.blogspot.com/2016/12/multifarious-arte-americas.html

http://arteamericas.blogspot.com/2016/12/visual-explorations-high-school-artists.html